University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) has set up the UCAS Scholarship for International Students to sponsor young talents all over the world to pursue Master’s or Doctoral degree, or attend courses, conduct research or pay academic visits at UCAS colleges/CAS institutes. The Scholarship also encourages international graduate students currently studying at foreign universities to come for study on joint programs. The Scholarship consists of both a full scholarship and a partial scholarship. The full scholarship provides tuition waiver, monthly stipend, basic accommodation and medical insurance; while the partial scholarship covers some items of the Full. Since 2016, the Scholarship has been majorly sponsoring Master students and Master-PhD students.
II Scholarship Coverage and Duration
i Scholarship Coverage
1. Exempted from tuition fee
Doctoral students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 40,000/year; master students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 30,000/year; senior visiting students would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 3,000/month; the regular visiting student would be exempted from a tuition fee of RMB 2,600/month.
UCAS provides monthly stipend of RMB 2,500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and RMB 2,000 for Master students and regular visiting students. In addition, host supervisor and CAS institute/UCAS school/college (hereinafter referred to as institute/school) provide research assistantship for awardees considering their academic performances. The total amounts of monthly stipend will be no less than RMB 3500 for Doctoral students, senior visiting students and students on joint programs, and RMB 3000 for Master students and regular visiting students.
UCAS provides basic accommodation to awardees from institutes and schools located in Beijing. As for awardees from CAS institutes located outside Beijing, they would be provided with basic accommodation when attending the concentrated study at UCAS, while their host institutes would help to provide accommodation or solve accommodation-related problems when awardees are with them, and the awardees shall pay for relevant expenses as requested by the institutes.
4. Medical Insurance
The insurance premium is RMB 800/year and RMB 400/half year. Please refer to the www.lxbx.net for the introduction of insurance coverage.
ii Scholarship Duration
1. Master students: no longer than 36 months
2. Doctoral students: no longer than 36 months
3. Students on joint programs: 6-24months
4. Regular and Senior visiting students: 6-24 months
III Application Guideline
i Qualifications of Applicants
1. Meet the admission criteria for UCAS international students.
2. Get recommended by a supervisor and the institute/school which the supervisor is affiliated with.
3. Have an appropriate attitude toward learning and scientific research and have outstanding academic performance.
4. Have not accepted any other sponsorship at the time of application.
5. Age requirements:
a. Master’s degree candidates: Be maximum age of 30 years on 31 December 2017.
b. Doctoral degree candidates: Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December 2017.
c. Students on joint programs: No age limit.
d. Regular and senior visiting students: Be maximum age of 40 years on 31 December 2017.
6. Requirements on language level:
a. Programs taught in Chinese: Applicants should obtain at least 200 points for Level 5 of new HSK test before registration.
b. Programs taught in English: Applicants should have adequate good English proficiency.
7. Other requirements on applicants on joint programs:
a. Applicants should be currently studying at higher institutions abroad.
b. The higher institution abroad the applicant is affiliated with should have signed relevant collaboration and exchange agreement with CAS/UCAS/CAS institute.
c. Awarded student should register before the November of 2017.
d. The academic visit to or joint culture at CAS should last for no shorter than 6 months.
8. Other requirements on visiting students:
a. Scholars should register before the November of 2017.
b. Scholars shall be further educated for no shorter than 6 months.
Students who are currently studying at higher institutions in China cannot apply (with exception for this year’s graduates).
ii Application Documents (Bound and Placed in the Following Order)
1. ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WITH A 2-INCH PHOTO AND APPLICANT’S SIGNATURE
Applicants shall fill in and submit the application information via the Online Application System for International Students at UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 15, 2016, and then print the admission application form (Net Version) produced by the system. The previous version of admission application form (Attachment 1) can be used but the applicants shall also complete online application procedure. The second part of the application form should be filled in by the applicant’s supervisor and institute/school. The applicant cannot apply to more than one supervisor or institute/school.
For those applying for joint programs, Master’s or Doctoral degree candidates should tick the Student Category as Visiting Student or Senior Visiting Student respectively.
2. APPLICATION FORM FOR UCAS SCHOLARSHIP FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WITH APPLICANT’S SIGNATURE
Applicants shall fill in and submit the application information via the Online Application System for International Students at UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) which would be officially launched around Dec. 15, 2016, and then print the scholarship application form (Net Version) produced by the system. The previous version of scholarship application form (Attachment 2) can be used but the applicants shall also complete online application procedure. The second part of the application form should be filled in by the applicant’s supervisor and institute/school.
For those applying for joint programs, their institutions should provide photocopies of the Chinese-versioned collaboration and exchange agreements between higher institutions abroad and CAS/UCAS or themselves.
3. PHOTOCOPY OF REGULAR PASSPORT PERSONAL INFORMATION PAGE
Regular passport should have at least 2 years validity.
4. ORIGINAL NOTARIZED PHOTOCOPIES OF DEGREE CERTIFICATES
Master’s program applicants shall submit the original notarized photocopies of their Bachelor’s degree certificates. Doctoral program applicants shall submit those of both their Master’s and Bachelor’s degree certificates.
Those who have not yet graduated must provide evidence of education from their current institutions, with their expected graduation dates being clearly indicated therein, and submit the original notarized photocopies of degree certificates upon their receipts.
5. ORIGINAL TRANSCRIPTS OR ORIGINAL NOTARIZED PHOTOCOPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS
Master’s program applicants shall submit the academic transcripts of their undergraduate study. Doctoral program applicants shall submit academic transcripts of both their graduate and undergraduate studies.
6. TWO ACADEMIC RECOMMENDATION LETTERS
The referees shall work in the relevant research field with the applicant, and should not be the expected supervisor. The letters must be on the letterhead paper, with the referee’s signature and date, and be sealed.
7. CV & RESEARCH PROPOSAL
8. PHOTOCOPIES OF ALL THE TITLE PAGES AND ABSTRACTS OF MAXIMUM 5 REPRESENTATIVE PUBLISHED PAPERS (IF ANY)
Please do not submit the photocopies of unpublished papers.
9. BANK RECEIPT OF APPLICATION PROCESSING FEE
The application processing fee is RMB 600 or USD/EUR equivalent. For applicants outside mainland China, payments shall be made in US dollars or Euros in the form of a personal check or money order or traveler’s check attached to the admission application form, payable to UCAS. For applicants currently in mainland China, payments shall be made in Chinese currency by remitting money directly to the following bank account (Please specify that the remittance is for the application processing fee):
Beneficiary: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Account number: 11001059200053002790
Bank: Construction Bank of China
Beijing Municipal Dongfangguangchang Branch
Applicants may also submit the application processing fee to UCAS Financial Department.
iii Application Procedure
1. Find an eligible host supervisor affiliated with CAS institute or UCAS school.
Eligible applicant shall prepare application documents as requested above, contact an eligible supervisor, decide on the research field and send him/her both hard and soft copies of application documents. See here for information of supervisors.
2. Obtain a host supervisor’s acceptance.
The supervisor checks and evaluates the applicant’s academic ability according to relevant rules of the institute/school. Two or three experts might be invited to conduct a video/telephone interview with the applicant or a written examination may be required. The supervisor decides whether or not to accept the applicant by making comments and signing on the supervisor’s comment pages of the admission application form as well as the scholarship application form, and submits the hard copy of all necessary documents to the institute/school.
3. CAS institute/UCAS school approves.
The application will be reviewed by the institute/school for them to decide whether or not to accept the applicant. If the application is approved, the institute/school will complete and stamp the comment pages of the admission application form as well as the scholarship application form and then send the hard copy of all necessary documents to the UCAS International Students Office.
4. UCAS makes the final review and prepares admission documents according to the evaluation result.
UCAS will organize evaluation meetings after its final review of all application documents. The admission and visa application documents for chosen applicants are prepared once the expert panels make the final decision.
iv Application Time
From Dec.1, 2016 to Mar.31, 2017
IV Result Announcement and Visa Application
UCAS will organize evaluation meeting that would generate an awardee list. The admission result will be announced on the website of UCAS (http://www.ucas.ac.cn), and the awardee will be sent the Admission Notice, Award Letter as well as other admission documents.
The awardee shall take his personal passport as used in his application, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202), and Physical Examination Record for Foreigners as well as all other original reports from the physical examination to the Embassy or Consulate of the People’s Republic of China, and apply for a student visa (X1/X2 visa). Please keep safe the original Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW202) which are needed in the application for the Permanent Residence Permit upon registration. Please do not apply for visa waiver or other types of visa.
The admitted student should register at the place indicated in the Admission Notice, and should register on the assigned date. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for registration extension.
1. Any applicant cannot submit his application documents to more than one institute/school or more than one supervisor.
2. Please take a careful consideration of the research field and major to be picked up, and the application should be submitted upon a discussion with the potential supervisor. After registration, UCAS would not accept any modification application due to the need of major or supervisor change.
3. All the above supporting documentation should be in English or Chinese, or otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required.
4. A lack of application documents or unsatisfactory documents will not be accepted. None of the documents will be returned regardless of the applicant’s admission status.
5. Please DO NOT send any of your documentation directly to the International Students Office of UCAS.
6. Once admitted, students must register on the assigned date in the Admission Notice at the place indicated therein. Otherwise, students should apply to UCAS for early or late registration.
7. The sponsorship duration is subject to the study period prescribed in the Admission Notice.
8. The scholarship could be retained for no longer than 2 months from the registration deadline.
9. The stipend will be transferred by UCAS on a monthly basis from the date when the awardee registers. A full-month stipend will be transferred to new students who register before the 15th of a given month (including 15th), while a half-month stipend will be transferred to new students who register after the 15th of a given month.
10. After their registration, awardees must abide by relevant rules and regulations of the Management Measures for UCAS Scholarship for International Students, and attend reviews and examinations such as the qualifying tests arranged by the International College. Awardees who fail review or examination will be deprived of their Scholarship or their Scholarship will be suspended.
11. Achievements made in scientific research and papers published during the sponsorship period by awardees should be put under the joint signature of UCAS and their host institutions, and indicate “Sponsored by UCAS Scholarship for International Students”.
VI Contact Information
Coordinator: Ms. HU Menglin
International Students Office
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China
Attachments (Click to Download):